This post may contain affiliate links. For more info, please read our full disclosure here
We live in an interesting time. Every day, we are bombarded and seemingly occupied with one activity or the other, or one thing or the other.
Due to the nature of our lives, we often find that we have to make time for a lot of things. Everything. Anything but ourselves.
With our own wellbeing being tossed to the back, it’s not very long before we begin to feel drained, tired, frustrated and even below our best.
We certainly don’t want to feel this way. No one does. Taking good care of yourself is and should always be a priority.
Self-care isn’t overrated. It is crucial.
With that being said, here are a couple of tips, as well as 50 simple, yet effective self-care ideas and practices to implement, even with a busy lifestyle.
Why Self-Care Is So Important
There’s a popular quote by Gandhi that says “If you want to change the world, start with yourself”.
This very important statement can also be applied in this scenario and read as “If you want to take care of the world, start with yourself”.
By making sure that the state of our wellbeing is something we look after, it becomes easier to become better at the things we do every day, and it also helps us focus on the things that are truly important.
What Self-Care Is, And Isn’t
- Self-care is engaging in activities that have a positive effect on your physical, social, financial, emotional and mental wellbeing. It is not an act of selfishness to negatively affect others or the people around us
- Self-care involves the little things we do every day. It is not a one-time thing or something you just do occasionally.
- The ideal self-care activities that bring out the best in us, vary from individual to individual. It is not a one size fits all approach.
That being said, here are 50 simple and effective ways you can care for yourself.
50 Self-Care Ideas
These ideas have been grouped into 5 main parts (physical, mental, emotional, social and spiritual).
These basic individual aspects, when all in place, contribute to a healthy mind, body and soul.
These are the activities that can help improve the physical state of your body. They include;
1) Eating healthy foods – Eating the right foods will put your body and health in a good state that you will no doubt enjoy.
P.S… If you want to enjoy healthy food that tastes great, feel free to check out our vast healthy food collection, from diets like keto and vegan recipes, to just regular everyday food, but with a healthier spin on it.
2) Do some exercise – Try finding a type of workout that you love and enjoy doing. It could be something indoors like squats and lunges, or something outdoors like running.
3) Stay hydrated – we’re over 70% water for a reason. It’s essential. So remember to stay hydrated.
4) Dance – Not only does it get you moving, it’s also very enjoyable.
5) Do some yoga – stretch the stress away.
6) Try breathing exercises – a deep breath goes a long way, literally and figuratively.
7) Go for a walk – A simple walk around the block, or during lunchtime can offer great benefits.
8) Get some quality sleep – good sleep is important for a healthy body and mind.
9) Take a relaxing bath – because why not?
10) Get a massage
Your mind is your greatest asset. Keep it in a good state with these activities;
11) Listen to your favorite songs – music speak to the soul, and have a powerful effect on the mind.
12) Try experiencing new things – New experiences open up countless possibilities.
13) Read a book or novel – reading is one surefire way to expand your mind.
14) Declutter your living space – cleaning up and decluttering has its own kind of therapeutic effect on the mind.
15) Avoid toxic people/places – shutting out or staying away from people and places that spread toxic energy is something future you will thank you for.
16) Explore your creativity – creativity lies in each and every one of us. Don’t be afraid to let it out.
17) Scratch something off your to do list – remember that long list of things you promised yourself you’d do? Make it one item shorter.
18) Meditate – those few minutes of quite time will do wonders for your mental health.
19) Watch a good movie
20) Sing/play an instrument
21) Write things in your journal – journaling is one of the best ways to pour out your thoughts and feelings, and can help you build emotional intelligence.
22) Say positive things to yourself – positivity might not always come from outside. But you can very well make sure that it comes from within.
23) Learn to say no – not every request requires a yes. Especially if it ends up negatively affecting you.
24) Do something that makes you happy
25) Celebrate your wins so far – you’ve got to learn to pat yourself on the back every now and then.
26) Practice gratitude – you have so much to be grateful for. You might not realize it, but you do.
27) Let go of things outside your control – certain things are in your control. Certain things are not. If it’s not in your control, then you don’t need to beat yourself over it.
29) Practice forgiveness
30) Find a way to express how you feel – this could be a trusted person, your pillow or the shampoo bottles in your bathroom. Just let it out.
31) Spend less time on social media – social media can be incredibly draining at times, especially with the wrong set of people on your feed. Try to take some time off, or spend less time on social media altogether.
32) Catch up with friends and loved ones – this kind of social connection is more real and way more beneficial.
33) Try meeting new people
34) Practice digital abstinence – I know we live in a digital world, but life shouldn’t be hinged on electronics. Try designating a period of the day where you put away all electronics, and just relax.
35) Associate with like-minded people – like minds when combined together, can achieve great things.
36) Avoid people with negative energies – there are certain people who always seem to be hell bent on pulling others down. Try to limit or avoid such interactions.
37) Organize a friendly lunch/dinner.
38) Say something nice to someone – It might be a stranger at the bus, your neighbor or the cleaner at work. It doesn’t matter. Just spread that bit of positivity.
39) Participate in an event you love – a good way to showcase your awesomeness and enjoy yourself at the same time.
40) Join a support group – problems are best solved together.
41) Help someone with something – it could be anything from helping an old lady cross the street, to helping someone in need.
42) Pray (if you’re religious).
43) Find time for self-reflection – self-reflection is one of the primary steps of self-improvement.
44) Donate to a cause or charity.
45) Attend a spiritual service.
46) Read spiritual books.
47) Recite a mantra.
48) Observe some “quiet time”.
49) Read uplifting and inspiring things
50) Spend time with nature
Self-care doesn’t have to be that complicated. It really is the simple things that go a long way.
These self-care tips will help you perform at your best, regardless of what life decides to throw at you.
If you loved this, don’t forget to save this and share with your friends.