This post may contain affiliate links. For more info, please read our full disclosure here
For a lot of people, certain food items containing things like gluten and dairy can prove somewhat problematic.
This could be due to allergies, food sensitivities, or other health or personal reasons.
In situations like this, it is important to find simple and delicious meals you can enjoy without having to worry about gluten or dairy.
There are lots of yummy and healthy recipes you can make without either, and you’d be surprised at how easy they are to put together.
If you’re looking for yummy and satisfying dinner recipes that are both gluten-free and dairy-free, then you’ve come to the right place.
In this post, you’ll discover what gluten and dairy-rich foods to avoid, possible healthier substitutes, as well as a collection of 30 amazing gluten-free (GF) and dairy-free (DF) dinners for you to enjoy.
From your favorite creamy soups, to your pot pies, casseroles, “pasta” meals and more. These recipes are every bit as tasty, but without the gluten or diary.
Let’s get right into it.
What Foods Contain Gluten And Dairy
The first part of going on any sort of restrictive diet, is first knowing what foods to avoid. Once you know what foods to avoid, you can easily make choices based on the ones you have available.
If you’ve ever wondered exactly what foods contain gluten or dairy, these lists will help you out.
Gluten is a type of protein present in certain foods like rye, wheat and barley. Foods made using these ingredients, or their subsidiary products will contain gluten. For example,
- Beers and malts
- Pasty products like muffins, cakes, cheesecakes, cookies, and so on.
If a food item contains ingredients like wheat flour, or some variation of it, as well as rye or barley, then it probably isn’t for you.
Be sure to check recipe ingredients and food labels. Some products, like certain types of cereal, soups, and even processed meats may include gluten in their production process, so it’s important to always double-check.
These include milk, and the related products gotten from it, like
- Dairy-based “creams” – heavy, sour, whipping cream, half n half, etc.
It’s important to check food labels and recipe ingredients. If a recipe or food item contains one or more of these ingredients, then it probably isn’t for you.
Luckily, going gluten or dairy free doesn’t mean you necessarily have to give up foods like bread, pasta, or your favorite cookies.
There are lots of amazing substitutes you can use to make these foods, while avoiding the gluten or dairy.
- regular whole wheat pasta can be swapped out for spiralized veggies, or gluten-free pasta brands
- Pastries like cookies, cakes, cupcakes and so on, can be made with gluten-free flours, like coconut flour, almond flour, and oat flour
- Certain GF beer varieties exist also
- Regular dairy milk can be swapped out for nut-based milk, like almond milk, cashew milk, or other options like coconut milk, soy milk, and so on
- Depending on the situation, things like butter can be swapped out for DF options like cashew or coconut butter, olive oil, or even some vegan butter brands
A lot of products which would normally contain gluten and/or dairy have their respective GF and DF alternatives available in stores. But as always, remember to check the labels for any “sneaky ingredients.
Now we know what foods contain gluten and dairy and their possible substitutes, here are 30 incredible GF and DF dinner recipes to satisfy your cravings.
30 Gluten-Free And Dairy-Free Dinner Recipes
1) 5-Ingredient Sweet Chicken
2) Sheet Pan Chicken Thighs and Veggies
3) One Skillet Mexican Quinoa
4) Healthy Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
5) Egg Roll Bowls
6) Coconut Milk Pasta
7) Coconut Chicken Curry
8) Gluten-Free Orange Chicken
9) Mojito Lime Chicken Burrito Bowls
10) Sweet and Sour Chickpeas
11) Cauliflower Chicken Fried Rice
12) Vegan Italian Stuffed Peppers With Rice
13) Classic Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
14) Instant Pot Chuck Roast
15) 20-Minute Healthy Ground Beef & Cabbage
16) Gluten-Free Chicken Pot Pie
17) Shrimp Stir Fry
18) 5-Ingredient Turkey Meatballs
19) Easy Gluten-Free Lasagna
20) Dairy Free Broccoli Cheese Soup
21) Keto Pork Tenderloin Medallions With Balsamic Glaze
22) Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
23) Loaded Hamburgers with Special Sauce
24) Salmon with Avocado Salsa
25) Creamy Tuna Noodle Casserole
26) 25-Minute Zesty Ground Chicken Taco Salad
27) Chicken & Shrimp Spanish Paella
28) Dairy-Free Chicken Rice Casserole
29) Gluten-Free Meatloaf
30) Dairy Free Butter Chicken