This delicious keto avocado breakfast dish looks as good as it tastes. As an added bonus, you won’t need to dirty any pots or pans to prepare it if you microwave the bacon rather than fry it.
There are a couple of “tricks” to perfecting this recipe, however. For starters, use large avocados and medium-sized eggs. Otherwise, the egg white may overflow the avocado. Cracking each egg into a small bowl before carefully pouring it into the avocado will also help prevent spills.
Tip: To keep your egg-filled avocados from tipping over while baking, position them over the holes of a muffin tin, rather than on a flat baking sheet, before placing them in the oven.
Some nutritional background
The main ingredients of this recipe are the avocados, the eggs, bacon and cheese. Avocados are one of the best fruits that can be enjoyed on a low carb ketogenic diet. They are high in fat, low in carbs and have a good protein and fiber content as well.
A 100g serving of avocados has 2g protein, 15g of good fat and 9g of carbs. And out of those 9g carbs, 7 of them are fiber, leaving it with only 2g net carbs. It’s also rich in lots of healthy vitamins and minerals as well.
Eggs are equally great and apart from making a good part of our breakfast, they’re a nice way to get enough protein into our diet. One large egg contains 6g protein, 5g fat and very little carbs. They’re one of the healthiest sources of protein on keto.
Bacon and cheese deliver a great taste and nutritional value to practically every meal as well. And die to their low carb content and nutritional profile, they can also be enjoyed on keto.
These are the main ingredients that come together to make this simple keto avocado baked eggs breakfast.
Now to the recipe.
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 20 – 25 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 4 medium eggs
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup Cheddar Jack Cheese, shredded
- 3 strips sugar-free bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
- Optional garnish: chives or green onions (green parts only), sliced thin
- Preheat oven to 350° F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut avocados in half lengthwise and remove the pits. Use a spoon to carefully remove some of the avocado flesh around the pit to create more space for the egg. Reserve removed flesh for another use (or smash, season with salt and pepper to taste, and top each baked avocado half with a spoonful before serving).
- Crack one egg into a small bowl and then carefully transfer the egg into one of the prepared avocado halves. Place the filled avocado onto the prepared baking sheet and repeat this process with the remaining avocado halves and eggs. Season each with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Place filled avocado halves in pre-heated oven to bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked according to your preference.
- Remove from oven and top each avocado half with shredded Cheddar Jack cheese and crispy bacon pieces. Garnish with chives or sliced green onions, if desired, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Nutritional info Per serving
- Total Fat: 24.8g
- Protein: 13.4g
- Total carbs: 7.9 g
- Fiber: 5.9 g
- Net carbs: 2 g
- Calories: 298
If you enjoyed this keto avocado breakfast recipe, feel free to share it. For more delicious recipes check out our recipe collection